"what sculpture is to a block of marble, education is to a human soul'

-
Joseph Addison

The High Range School

The High Range School
"EVEN A THOUSAND MILES JOURNEY STARTS WITH A SINGLE STEP"

CONFUCIUS

The Bust of J.R.D.Tata

The Bust of J.R.D.Tata

THE ALMIGHTY

"Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held. Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin. Believe nothing just because someone else believes it. Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

BUDDHA

HRS Main Block

HRS Main Block

HRS KG Park

HRS KG Park

BHAGWAD GITA

Atha Shrimad Bhagwad Gita(First Canto) Before starting to understand the purport of the first stanza of Gita we have first to understand the meaning of the initial heading, "Atha Shrimad Bhagwad Gita". The very first 'Atha' word suggest that there must be some such philosophical approch to the problem Gita has tried to expalin and tackle. Ved Vyas starts with the word 'Atha' because he kept the philosophy of life in a different way than the previous ones(Budhha). The word 'Atha' points to some other school of philosophy which was that of Upnishadas and hence at the end of every canto of the Gita the word 'Upnishadsu' has been written. Gita is also an Upanishad. Upnishadas were written to explain the difficult knowledge of the Vedas written in short aphorisms of the original divinity. Time passed and the knowledge written in the Upnishads also became difficult for the common man to understand. It is through that Badarayana wrote his 'Vedantra Sutra' or 'Brahma Sutra' which tried to reconcile the philosophical thoughts written in many Upnishads. The Upnishads are mostly of renunciation thoughts to make them more wordly and practical Ramayan and Mahabharat epics were written. These two epics because of their fictional type of description, became very popular. Again we belive that Ramayan and Mahabharat are historical events where as if analysed properly turns out to be classical poetical work of Maharishi Valmiki and Ved Vyas. This whole social and spiritual picture was clear to Ved Vyas and hence he writes 'Atha' in very begining of the Gita. Then comes the word 'Shrimat'. 'Shri' means opulant and 'Mat' means opinion or intelligence which is needed in practical philosophy. The word 'Bhagwat' comes next. 'Bhag' means Wel-being and 'Vat' means the state accordingly. Hence Bhagwat means a state of complete well-being. The last word is 'Gita'verbally meaning a poem that is to be sung. There is an alphabet 'Ga' in Gita. 'Ga' means speed and 'Git' means momentum towards the desired end. Such speed towards the desired end is called 'Gita'. Thus 'Shrimat Bhagwat Gita' means opulant intelligence speeding towards the desired end of wel-being. The process of 'Git' is two fold. The person can individually go towards the effect of the song he sings and secondly he can take with him the persons emmotionally towards the same desired end of the song who hear him.This is the meaning of 'Git' and such an advancing stage towards welfare is termed as 'Gita' by Ved Vyas. Hence Gita is a social science of behaviour leading towards the desired end of wel-being. It is belived that metre of Gita is 'Anustubha' which is even today is greatly lulling,melodious,gracious and profound. A person who hears the 'Anustubha Chhand' loses himself in a deep profound ecstacy though he may be of any school of melody. And that may be the inner urge of Ved Vyas. Anustubha is coined through two subwords one 'Anu' and second 'Stubha'. 'Anu' means to follow and 'Stubha' means that desired stage of pursuit. Every canto of Gita begins with Atha and ends with 'Om tat sat eti' meaning that is true in this way only. The begining is made through Atha and end with Eti meaning in this way or like this. By 'Eti' Ved Vyas wants to suggerst that it is the only way of salvation and wel-being if one goes by that way. Gita is no historical account or individual chivalry.Every canto begins with 'Atha' and ends with 'Eti', 'Atha' means the teachings of previous thinkers and 'Eti' means his own opinion. And whatever has been said in the canto is totally surrendered to the Brahma and hence the end is glorified with the words 'Om tat sat eti'. Hence we may say that Gita is a practical philosophy of life that requries a soar of tendencies as displayed by Ved Vyas through Mahabharat. With this context only we may require to re-examine some cantos of Gita.

HRS Auditorium, KG Block & Library

HRS Auditorium, KG Block & Library

BIBLE

Do not be anxious about tomorrow, tomorrow will look after itself.--"Matthew" (6:34)Many philosophies advocate this, but it does not mean that you should leave everything and sit idle. It is for those people who are so anxious for tomorrow that they cannot think anything else. This affects your other daily activities which is harmful to keep balance in the life. And tomorrow means future, not in its literal meaning as "tomorrow" (the day after today). If you have your test tomorrow, you must care about it, you must prepare for it, you must do it well to pass it. It is not going to take care of itself.



“How to be Happy”Rachel Olsen, Senior Editor Online Devotions, P31 Speaker and AuthorKey Verse:“Don’t worry about anything, instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.” Philippians 4:6 (NLT)Devotion:“Happy Thanksgiving!” people wish me repeatedly this week. Seems like everyone wishes for happiness. Everybody wants some. Everybody seeks it. Many people pretend to have it, yet few seem to truly possess it. Why is happiness so hard to find?Pssst … lean in closer… I will whisper where to find it … the fourth chapter of Philippians. Look up and read verses six through thirteen, or read them below in the Power Verses section.Notice in verse six, Paul gives three clear instructions for finding lasting contentment. He says: 1) not to worry2) pray about everything3) thank God for everythingWhat if today we took this instruction to heart and put it into practice? What if today we decided not to worry about anything? What if when we found ourselves worrying, we stopped and handed the situation over to God in prayer? What if we then thanked Him for taking care of the issue? In fact, what if we spent most of our mental free time today thinking about what good care our awesome God takes of us? What would happen then?Paul says in verse seven, if we begin to live this way we will experience amazing peace – a kind of peace we can’t even imagine. This kind of peace is so powerful that it has a protective function on our hearts and minds – which only makes it easier and easier for us to stop worrying and be thankful. That sounds like a state of happiness to me!In verse eight Paul elaborates on what to think about instead of our worries – whatever is good, true, honorable, pure, lovely, praise worthy, and right. Many things can fall into these categories, but Christ encompasses them all! This is not just “positive thinking,” this is spiritual thinking.Further down in Philippians 4:10-13, Paul goes on to attest personally to the truth of this 3-step process as he writes from a Roman prison. From behind bars Paul says, “I’ve learned how to get along happily whether I have much or little … I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little” (Phil. 4:11-12). Did you catch that verb? Paul LEARNED how to be happy and content. It didn’t just happen once he reached his goals. In fact, he claims his ability to be happy had nothing at all to do with his circumstances, but rather his increased trust in Christ.So happy contentedness is not something that comes once our waistlines have slimmed, our wrinkles are erased, our houses are clean and well furnished, our children are successful, our husbands dote on us, or our dreams are fulfilled. Instead it is learned as we become prayerful (verse 6) and thankful (verse 6), as we practice spiritual thinking (verse 8), and as we trust utterly in Christ (verse 13).I can’t think of a better day to start practicing Paul’s process of prayer, thankfulness, and “spiritual thinking” than today. Happy Thanksgiving!My Prayer for Today:Dear Lord, I’m turning over all my fears and problems to You to handle today. I can’t fix a single thing by worrying about it - but you can fix anything because nothing is impossible for You! Thank You for my blessings, big and small. Thank You for Your loving care for me. Thank You for being in charge of my day. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.Application Steps: Get out your Bible and highlight Philippians 4:6-7. Memorize those two verses.Reflection Points: Do I think about what is good, lovely, pure and right, or do I think about what is depressing, frustrating, unfair and wrong?Does thankfulness characterize me?Power Verses:Phillipians 4:6-9, “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.” (NLT)


I just want to thank You, LORDfor every time that you’ve heard me prayI just want to thank Youfor always being therewhen I was so down and outYou came along and made me wanna shoutI just want to thank You, LORDthank You, LORD
I am thankful that GOD is up there, down here, all around, everywhere. I am thankful that I know no matter how lonely, sad, lonely, or hopeless AI might feel HE is with me at all times and with HIM I have everything to hope for. I am thankful that HE sent me HIS son Jesus Christ so that I may know HIM and someday be with them in my home above. I am thankful that no matter how disheartened I might become HE is always there with blessed assurance that in HIS time all will be fine. I am thankful that Jesus loved me so much that he died just so I could live.
I am also thankful for my sister, Nancy. If it wasn’t for her and the love I feel from her I probably wouldn’t be alive right now. I would have given up as a teenager. She has no idea how much she helped me tonight, just by hearing her voice. I was sitting here this evening, alone as usual, and slowly sinking yet again into my thoughts of pain and hopelessness. The devil kept whispering silent messages of doubt, heartache, and grief into my heart and again I was beginning to question whether or not GOD even cared. Then the phone rang and it was her. Last night she asked me if I would like to have Thanksgiving dinner with her at her dad’s house. I had planned on spending the day alone and no doubt crying. My mom asked me to go with her to my uncle’s house but I don’t want to go and be in the way of people that I know don’t want me there. When my sister asked me to go with her I told her I didn’t know but it probably wouldn’t be too good of an idea for me to go because I’d probably do nothing but cry watching the others with their families and me not having mine. But today she told me that her dad was all for me coming and that my brother, Bug, wants me to come too. So I might. I just don’t want to be the reason why anyone else doesn’t have a happy day. I’m still not sure if I’ll go. I don’t feel worthy to be around anyone, especially on days that are supposed to be festive. Mom won’t say she doesn’t want me to go but I can tell that she is ticked at the idea. Her and my grandma say they just want me to to ask questions about those out here. But anyway, I’m thankful that my sister wants me to have a little happiness.
Lately I’ve been thinking, "Am I worthy to ask GOD for anything at all let alone restoring my marriage?" I keep thinking that no I’m not, I’m too low for even GOD above to care anything about. Why do I let myself think these thoughts? I know I am. I hope I am. No, I KNOW that I am. GOD loves us all, even me. And I’m thankful for that and knowing that he is going to restore my marriage in HIS time. I am so thankful to know that HE will never give up on me.
This will be the second Thanksgiving I am going to spend without hubby beside me. They say time makes things easier but for me it keeps getting harder and harder. But I am trusting in GOD that if it’s HIS will this will be the last Thanksgiving I will be apart from him. What I wouldn’t give right how just to hear GOD’s heavenly voice telling me that my heart’s desires will be given to me soon. I guess that is what faith is for though…………
What I wouldn’t do right now for a phone call. A simple phone call. And to hear an I love you. And a don’t worry perhaps.
I am thankful for my hopeful heart telling me he does still love me.
Everyone this year as you’re sitting around your tables for a turkey dinner with those you all love, look around you, make a memory of all the faces and never forget it. You never know if you’ll be with those you love next year. It is hard to imagine them not being there, but try, can you? Don’t forget to tell them each and every one how much you love them and how much they mean to you. Next time they might not be there to hear it. And not just Thanksgiving, but every day be sure they know they have a little piece of your heart with them at all times. Two years ago I remember Wally holding my hand and not caring who seen and feeling so safe and loved. I never told him how special just holding my hand made me feel and how much those little memories meant to be, and how it was those little things that meant the most. I wish I had. Now he may never know.
GOD, please let him know how much I love him.
Happy Thanksgiving Christian and Wally. Goodnight and I love y’all!

HRS Auditorium

HRS Auditorium

IMPORTANCE OF PARENTS

Islamic teachings on the Importance of Parents Say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour. - Quran 17:23
In Islam it is obligatory for us to show kindness, respect, and obedience to our parents. The position of parents, and the mutual obligations and responsibilities, have been addressed in Islam in great detail. In fact kindness and obedience is so strongly emphasized that God has linked showing gratitude to one's parents with showing gratitude to God -
And We have enjoined on man (to be good) to his parents: in travail upon travail did his mother bear him, and in years twain was his weaning: (hear the command), "Show gratitude to Me and to thy parents: to Me is (thy final) Goal. (31:14)
Sadly we are living in a time where children speaking disrespectfully to their parents and about their parents, is the norm rather than the exception. However Islam places great emphasis on respectful and considerate behaviour to even our enemies, so to not uphold the obligations laid down by God to our parents is actually one of the major sins.
In the QuranLet's see what the Quran says about Parents. This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear God (2:02)
Treat parents with honour & speak to them graciously & with humility
Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour. And, out of kindness, lower to them the wing of humility, and say: My Lord! Bestow on them thy Mercy even as they cherished me in childhood. (17:23)
Be grateful to parents but do not obey them if they strive to make you associate things with God
...Be grateful to Me and to both your parents; to Me is the eventual coming. But if they strive to make thee join in worship with Me things of which thou hast no knowledge, obey them not; yet bear them company in this life with justice (and consideration), and follow the way of those who turn to me (in love): in the end the return of you all is to Me, then will I inform you of what you did (31:15)
These verses make it clear that we must honour our parents, appreciate their sacrifices and efforts for us, and do our best for them. This is required regardless of whether they are Muslims or not.
Be good to parents and everyone else who you meet
Serve God, and join not any partners with Him; and do good- to parents, kinsfolk, orphans, those in need, neighbours who are near, neighbours who are strangers, the companion by your side, the wayfarer (ye meet), and what your right hands possess: For God loveth not the arrogant, the vainglorious;- (4:36)
If the Quran tells us to be good to a stranger how can we even think of disrespecting our parents?
HadithsLet's see what Prophet Muhammad said about parents in the authentic Hadiths. Whatsoever the Prophet gives you, take it and whatsoever he forbids you, refrain from it. - Quran 59:7
Disobedience to parents is a major sin
Anas narrated from Prophet Muhammad about the major sins. He (Mohammed) observed: Associating anyone with God, disobedience to parents, killing a person and false utterance. (Muslim)
One of the dearest deeds to God is being good & dutiful to parents
Narrated 'Abdullah: I asked the Prophet "Which deed is the dearest to God?" He replied, "To offer the prayers at their early stated fixed times." I asked, "What is the next (in goodness)?" He replied, "To be good and dutiful to your parents"...(Bukhari)
Being dutiful to parents is one of the keys to enter Paradise
Abu Huraira reported Prophet Muhammad as saying: Let him be humbled into dust; let him be humbled into dust. It was said: God's Messenger, who is he? He said: He who sees either of his parents during their old age or he sees both of them, but he does not enter Paradise (because he has been undutiful to them). (Muslim)
Acts of kindness we can do for our parents after their death
While we were with Prophet Muhammad of God . A man of Banu Salmah came to Him and said: Apostle of God is there any kindness left that I can do to my parents after their death? He replied: Yes, you can invoke blessings on them, forgiveness for them, carry out their final instructions after their death, join ties of relationship which are dependent on them, and honour their friends. (Abu Dawood)
The High Status given to Mothers
A man came to the Prophet and asked him for permission to join a military expedition. The Prophet asked him if he had a mother, and when he replied that he had, he said, "Stay with her, for Paradise is at her feet." (Ahmad)
Summary
Sometimes we may take our parents for granted and overlook their importance. As Muslims we should constantly be alert to guard ourselves from sins, however, are we guarding ourselves from one of the biggest major sins? Are we honouring and respecting our parents as per their right? Or are we neglecting one of the deeds most dearest to God? Right now the choice is ours!
We ask God the Most High, the All-Powerful, to teach us that which will benefit us, and to benefit us by that which we learn.



HRS Garden of Seasonal Plants

HRS Garden of Seasonal Plants

THOUGHTS FOR PARENTS

THREE THOUGHTS FOR PARENTS

There are times these days when I feel a little like the Ancient Mariner-- or, at least, the Ancient Parent. There are so many youngish men and women pushing strollers and carrying babies on their backs that I keep feeling I should waylay some of these former members of wedding parties and communicate some of the things I have learned in twenty years as a father.
There are three things-- at least-- that I want to tell all those earnest young stroller pushers, and I usually want to start by assuring them you really do get more out of parenthood than you put into it. It is, if all goes well, full of little pleasures and adventures, and there is one aspect of it that is absolutely unique. When you raise a child, you get to do two things that are profoundly satisfying. You give the world to another human being, and you give another human being to the world.
There is no other occupation, as far as I know, in which you can do that. And the nice thing about it-- considering the magnitude of the achievement-- is that it's relatively easy. You just have to decide you want to do it. The world, after all, is already there. I didn't have to write The Prisoner of Zenda or Doctor Dolittle. I just had to read them to my son. Anthony Hope and Hugh Lofting did all the really hard work. I just had to make the introductions.

My second message is closely related to the first. You must never forget that you have responsibilities to the world, as well as to the child. A lot of parents, it seems to me, become intensely preoccupied with their child's welfare, and forget they are also supposed to protect the world from the monsters we are all capable of becoming.
People who really like their children want their children to like them, too, and that makes it hard to say no. It helps, in my experience, if you remember that you are a sworn and properly accredited agent of the entire human community, with full responsibility for the lives and property of four and one half billion human beings and everything they and their ancestors have created in the last few million years.
There is, as the saying goes, some bad news and some good news, and parents are the diplomats who must convey it to the aliens who have landed in their homes. The bad news, kid, is that the residents of this planet aren't allowed to rob, murder, and rape their neighbors. The good news is that your neighbors aren't supposed to rob, murder, and rape you.
If you can keep that fundamental bargain, furthermore, you get a bonus. You don't have to cower cold and bored in the wilderness. You get to sit in comfortable rooms and do interesting things.
If you're going to raise a child, in other words, I think it helps if you like the part of the world people have made. The more things you like, the more things you can give to your child. The more things the child likes, the easier it is to put up with all those irksome restrictions on theft and murder.

The last item on my agenda may be the most urgent. It's something I especially want to tell all those modern parents who think their children should be reading Scientific American before they enter nursery school-- and all those old fashioned parents who are afraid their children will turn into loafers and ne'er do wells if they don't flog them every time they forget to squeeze the toothpaste tube from the bottom. The most important thing you can give your children is a good relationship with their parents.
Our relationship with our parents is one of the cornerstones of the human personality. Our parents, after all, are the first people we have to deal with. If that relationship works out well, then there's a good chance it will set a pattern for all the relationships that will come later.
Nobody wants their kid to be a bum. Getting into Harvard is very nice. But don't let your natural concern about such matters interfere with something that is far more important. Children who like their parents-- and know their parents like them-- will go into the world with a piece of equipment that is worth a dozen degrees and several dozen lectures on punctuality and good manners.

Many years ago, in an article by the author of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, I came across Balzac's definition of a full life: to write a book, to plant a tree, to raise a child. I think it's significant that Balzac wasn't talking about a pleasant life or a comfortable life, or a life without responsibility and anxiety. If you're the kind of person who places a high value on your own personal pleasure and comfort-- if you don't like to commit yourself to responsibilities that may be "too restricting" or that may "alter your lifestyle"-- then you are probably making the right choice if you decide not to have children. But if you share Balzac's hunger for a full life, I think I can tell you he was right.

Monday, April 27, 2009

HOW TO CONTROL ANGER

Many of us at times have been upset. Being upset is a part of life. Not all things will go the way you want them to go. When this upset turns to anger we must be careful how we handle ourselves.
Here are 4 steps to control your anger and have it vent in proper ways.
1. Count to 10 when you are getting upset. This is a normal way that we have all heard. We have heard it because it works if you practice it. Count to 10 and you may solve many of your outbursts before they happen.
2. Do something that is physically exerting. Instead of punching a wall or a person, go run around the house, or mow the yard. Go for a walk, swim, bikeride, or shoot some hoops. This can provide a physical outlet for your emotions.
3. Find something that is calming. Try deep breathing from your diaphragm. Take 10 deep calming breaths. This can be very soothing for most people. Combine this with step 1 and count to 10 slowly while breathing.
4. Use “I” statements instead of “you” statements. I am frustrated because you didn’t help with the housework, instead of You didn’t help me with the housework. This helps in multiple ways one is your way of thinking is a bit better and you also do not upset the other person so that both parties are angry. Which of course is not a good outcome for anyone.
You can combine multiple steps above to help alleviate anger. Don’t hold it in, but don’t blow up. Calm yourself down and talk about it by using step number 4 above. Go for a swim or a nice shower, and you can alleviate the stresses that cause unhealthy anger.

No comments:

Post a Comment